Call for Proposals for 2020/21
Do you have a fabulous stage production but no venue to present it in? Are you looking for a potential partner to assist with the financial costs of staging a drama, musical or dance production? Then this is the opportunity you have been waiting for!
The Playhouse Company, one of South Africa’s premier professional theatre institutions, invites arts practitioners, including independent producers, directors, playwrights and production houses, to submit proposals for cutting-edge stage productions in the areas of dance, drama and music to be staged at the Playhouse in Durban during its 2020/21 financial year.
Productions will be considered either on a ‘co-producer’ or partnership basis and preference will be given to arts practitioners and productions in line with The Playhouse Company’s mandate, mission and vision, which is available on the company’s website under Annual Reports.
Applicants are invited to apply in one or more of the following categories:
- South African Women’s Arts Festival: A combination of events, vibrant and innovative productions, exhibitions and workshops make up the programme celebrating women’s month. All productions are either created by or performed by women, or both.
- News Stages Festival: New Stages is recognized as a platform for taking productions to new heights, preparing them to be staged in other popular venues around the province and the country.
- Schools programme: The Playhouse Company’s mobile stage provides a platform and medium to expose schools in rural communities to the world of the performing arts, as well as communicating important lifestyle messages to learners in these areas.
- Partnerships: Fully-fledged professional productions that are ready to be staged during the year will be considered. The Playhouse Company provides access to existing costumes, sets and available technical requirements.
Consideration and evaluation of proposals will only be given to stage works that are beyond concept or script phases that are ready to be staged, or have previously been staged, and that meet the stringent artistic standards of The Playhouse Company. The Playhouse Company will give preference to productions and artists from KwaZulu-Natal.
How to Apply:
Fully completed application forms with the required supporting documentation must be dropped in the “Arts Proposal Applications” box situated in the foyer of The Playhouse Company head office situated at 29 Acutt Street, Durban or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that this call out for proposals will factor in two phases:
- 1st Phase: December to January (Initial stage) is for primary consideration;
- 2nd Phase: October to November (Secondary stage – This is to accommodate those that submitted late during the 1st phase. They will be reviewed and considered subject to availability of funds and theatre space
The review process will be conducted by an independent panel of industry professionals. All applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their application.
Applications close on 17 January 2019 at 16h00.
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Production Proposals Applications
Thank you for showing interest in partnering with The Playhouse Company.
Applications for 2018/2019 and 2019/2020 are now CLOSED.
Please take note of the following for future applications:
- Applicants must adhere strictly to the prescribed format (application form)
- In the event that your proposal receives favourable consideration, in relation to A – D listed below, The Playhouse Company is likely to provide one or a combination of the following contributions to your project: rehearsal and performance venues; technical support; marketing and promotional backup; access to existing props, costumes, sets and performance fees.
- Indicate capacity to deliver against your proposed production.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
|A||School Season: Education and development productions geared for scholars and/or matric learners|
|B||South African Women’s Arts Festival: Productions that highlight the lives and contributions made by women in society|
|C||New Stages: Existing professional productions that embody the creative talent of SA for intimate Playhouse venues|
|D||In- Association: Existing, fully-fledged productions presented in partnership with the Playhouse|
Pod not found